My Internet seems slow, what should I do?
If you are able to get on line, but have slow download speeds, web pages open slowly and there is a slow transfer rate when downloading a file, you may have:
- PC clutter: Newer PC's seem to perform better than older ones, and decline in performance is often caused by program clutter. Upon start-up, if there are multiple instant messenger programs, music software, media player updates, and the local temperature, each of these programs use resources that could be used for speed. Disabling auto-start or uninstalling these programs can have a big impact on system performance.
- Spyware: Spyware secretly uses system resources and uses the PC's connection to transmit data. Cox offers several security solutions, including the free Cox Security Suite or McAfee Virus Scan to detect and help remove spyware from a Windows PC.
- Viruses and Trojans: Viruses and trojans can have a serious impact on PC and internet connection performance. Both will try to use a high-speed connection to proliferate themselves via email or network attacks. Anti-virus and firewall programs help detect and prevent these threats. Cox allows a customer to choose from two offerings to protect the PC. McAfee WebEssentials and the free Cox Security Suite have anti-virus and firewall protection for Windows PC's.
- Peer-to-Peer file sharing: Most of these programs continue to operate in the background after downloads are complete, clogging the internet connection. In addition to sharing speed, many of these programs profit by installing spyware.
Cox recommends following the checklist below in evaluating a PC's health regularly:
- Update virus and spyware definitions (allow auto-update if possible)
- Uninstall programs no longer being used.
- Scan for spyware and viruses.
- Turn off any background programs that do not need to run all of the time.
- Disable uploading of any peer-to-peer program that will allow uploads to be disabled.
- Delete cookies and temporary Internet files. Select the applicable link for detailed steps.
ACN High Speed Internet Support Documents – Verizon and CenturyLink Markets: