What is ACN Digital Phone Service?
ACN Digital Phone Service uses your high speed Internet connection (DSL or Cable) to make telephone calls, saving you money compared to traditional phone service. The service includes:
If you don’t have Internet today, we’ve made it easy for you to choose from top providers! Visit the Internet section of myacn.com to shop for a plan that’s right for you. Note that Internet will be billed by your selected provider and not bundled with your ACN Digital Phone Service.
- Unlimited calling within the U.S. and to Canada, including 70 international countries and territories
- Low calling rates to hundreds of international destinations not included with your calling plan
- Option to transfer your existing phone number or ACN can provide you a new phone number
- All the traditional calling features like Voice Mail, Call Waiting, Caller ID and more!
How does ACN Digital Phone Service work?
|When you pick up your telephone, the ACN Digital Phone Service Phone Adapter or Video Phone uses Voice over Internet Protocol technology to convert analog audio signals, like the kind you hear when you talk on the phone, and turns them into digital data that can be transmitted over the Internet. You make phone calls the same way as traditional phone service, and with great quality!
What are the requirements for use of ACN Digital Phone Service?
ACN Phone Adapter
- ACN Digital Phone Service with Phone Adapter requires a wired high speed Internet connection with a minimum continuous available download and upload speed of 128 kbps.
- A router is required with your ACN Phone Adapter to enable connection to the Internet. ACN recommends the Cisco Linksys E1200, which is available at major computer and electronic retailers.
ACN IRIS X Video Phone
There are many websites that offer a free speed test. ACN recommends utilizing your current Internet Service Provider’s speed site, if available or speedtest.net.
- ACN Digital Phone Service with the IRIS X Video Phone requires a wired high speed Internet connection with a minimum continuous available download and upload speed of 384 kbps.
- A router is required for installation of the IRIS X Video Phone. ACN recommends the Cisco Linksys E1200, which is available at major computer and electronic retailers.
Can I keep my existing telephone number?
In most cases, ACN is able to transfer your existing number. When you switch to ACN Digital Phone Service, simply select the option ‘I want to transfer my existing phone number.’ You will be notified if your telephone number can be transferred.
During the transfer process, ACN will assign you a temporary phone number so you can begin to use your ACN Digital Phone Service right away! You can choose to keep your temporary phone number as a secondary line (phone adapters only), convert it to a virtual number or disconnect the number once the transfer process has completed.
Transfers take approximately 10 business days from the time you confirm your request. The transfer cannot be stopped once processing has started.
Attention High Speed Internet Subscribers: If you currently have High Speed Internet combined with your telephone service, please inform your provider, in advance, that you intend to transfer your voice service and maintain your Internet service. This will help prevent a lapse in your Internet service as a result of the transition.
Note: Toll Free numbers cannot be transferred.
Can I select a new telephone number?
If you would like a new number, there are two ways to accomplish this:
In either scenario, ACN will attempt to provide you with a number in the area you designate.
- You can provide a telephone number within the local area in which you want service.
- You can choose a state, area code and location.
Do I have to buy special equipment for ACN Digital Phone Service?
When you sign up for ACN Digital Phone Service, you will select from two options – ACN Phone Adapter or the ACN IRIS X Video Phone. Either option will provide you the ability to make phone calls using your Internet connection, saving you money! With the ACN Phone Adapter, you can continue to use your existing telephone.
Note: The IRIS X is a stand-alone multimedia video phone. It does not enable connection to a traditional telephone (including a cordless phone and additional handsets).
Does ACN Digital Phone Service work the same as my regular phone service?
|Once you are connected, pick up your phone and use it just like you do today. The person you're calling doesn't need to have ACN Digital Phone Service or an Internet connection. He or she just needs telephone service. And your phone rings when someone calls you, just as it always did. You're just connecting it to ACN Digital Phone Service instead of your former telephone company.
Can I make International calls with ACN Digital Phone service?
|Yes. To make an international call, dial 011 + (country code) + phone number. Calls placed to countries included in the Home Unlimited World Plan are not charged to you. Calls to other International locations are billed at rates competitive with other major providers. There are no changes to how you make international calls with ACN Digital Phone service! Just dial as you normally would. For a complete list of international rates, please click here.
Can I use my existing telephone jacks with ACN Digital Phone Service?
ACN recommends connecting a cordless phone system to your phone adapter. You can then locate extensions throughout your house without making any wiring changes. For most ACN Digital Phone Service customers, this is the preferred solution. If you are comfortable with making wiring changes yourself, please refer to the VoIP Wiring Guide for additional instructions: English | Español
Please note that ACN is unable to provide technical assistance through our technical support line. Modifications to your home wiring are done so at your sole discretion.
If I decide to discontinue my ACN Digital Phone Service, can I transfer my telephone number to another provider?
A telephone number can be transferred to another carrier that provides traditional or digital phone service. In order to successfully transfer your existing telephone number, your ACN Digital Phone Service must be active. Once ACN receives the transfer request directly from the carrier, ACN will automatically cancel your digital phone service and apply any applicable disconnect fees.
Does ACN Digital Phone Support Faxing?
Faxing was originally developed to work over the traditional telephone network. While ACN has upgraded its VoIP network to enable faxing (phone adapter only) within United States and Canada, faxes may not always complete due to a number of reasons which include the capabilities of sending and receiving fax machines and quality of the network connection. For these reasons, fax is available as a “best effort service.” Currently, faxing to destinations outside of North America is not supported, including Puerto Rico and Hawaii. Video Phone faxing is also not supported.
If you are not able to send or receive a fax, please follow the following simple instructions:
- Verify your Internet service is working by surfing to a few websites (ideally having a direct wired connection to your modem or router).
- Make sure the Phone Adapter is installed correctly by checking the following:
a. Verify the power adapter is connected to the Phone Adapter
b. Make sure the Ethernet cable is connected and “clicked” into the Phone Adapter’s port labeled as "Internet"
c. Verify the Phone Adapter’s power light is solid green, Internet light is flickering green and the Phone 1 light is solid green
- Replace the fax line with a working telephone in Phone 1, making sure the cable “clicks” in place. Verify you can place and receive normal phone calls. If you are unable to place phone calls, verify your Internet is working and the Phone Adapter is properly installed.
- Refer to your fax machine instructions as needed and disable ECM mode and set the transmission speed to 9600 baud rate. Reconnect the fax machine and retry the failed fax with the new settings.
- you are still unable to place/receive faxes or calls, contact Customer Care at 888-414-1958 in the U.S. or at 866-913-3445 for Canada.
Does ACN support TiVo boxes, DIRECTV boxes or Alarm Systems?
|Services such as TiVo, DIRECTV and most alarm systems are not supported. ACN does, however, offer packages through ADT Home Security that do not require a landline and can be used by ACN Digital Phone Service customers.
Will ACN Digital Phone Service interfere with my high speed Internet or cable modem data/computer connections?
|No. ACN Digital Phone Service routes your incoming and outgoing voice and video calls right alongside the data being sent to or from your computer. Therefore, you can use your high speed Internet connection for more than just web surfing. You can make and receive calls while you use your computer to access the Internet, as well as when your computer is off or not connected to the Internet. ACN uses advanced audio compression techniques to minimize the data traffic caused by calls and maximize the bandwidth available for your other Internet traffic.
Can I use my computer when I’m on the phone?
|Using ACN Digital Phone Service doesn't affect your computer usage. Continue to surf the web or send and receive email with no problem while you’re talking on the phone. Your computer does not need to be running for ACN Digital Phone Service to work. Our Digital Phone Service uses your Internet connection, not your computer.
How will I be charged for my ACN Digital Phone Service?
At the time of order, your payment method will be billed for all applicable charges including:
- Equipment Charges (such as Phone Adapter or Video Phone)
- Shipping and Handling charges
- Activation Fee (if applicable)
- Applicable taxes on equipment
What payment options are available with ACN Digital Phone Service?
ACN Digital Phone Service requires an automatic payment withdrawal from a credit/debit card, checking account or PayPal.
How will I be billed for my ACN Digital Phone Service each month?
ACN Digital Phone Service requires an automatic payment withdrawal from a credit/debit card, checking account or PayPal. Your monthly fee, including taxes and surcharges, will be automatically deducted from your chosen payment method on the same date each month. This payment method can be changed at any time by logging in to My Account. You may also visit the Billing/My Account FAQs on the support site for more details on managing your online account.
*Taxes and surcharges are calculated based on service address and may vary. In addition, final invoicing after disconnection may result in taxes and/or surcharges specific to the dates in which your telephone service was active up through disconnection.
What features do I get with ACN Digital Phone Service?
ACN Digital Phone Service offers all the calling features you expect and more! With popular features like Voice Mail, Call Forwarding, Caller ID and Call Waiting – you can control many of these features online. During sign up you will create a username and password to log in to My Account. Experience the difference of ACN Digital Phone Service today.
How do I use my features?
Simply visit the Features section of myacn.com for ACN Digital Phone Service for instructions to managing your features. You can even activate/deactivate features through 2 digit dialing codes. See the Feature Codes document for details.
Am I able to receive collect calls with ACN Digital Phone Service?
No. ACN’s Service does not support 0+ calling (including without limitation, collect, third party billing or calling card calling).
How do I register my phone number on the National Do Not Call List?
The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days.
You will receive an email from Register@donotcall.gov. To complete your registration, you must open the email and click on the link provided.
Call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY-1-866-290-4236)
Click on Register Now
Enter your phone number and email address
Check your phone number for accuracy
Please note that if you do not click on the link in the email within 72 hours, your phone number will not be registered.
What if I move? Can I move my ACN Digital Phone Service to my new address.
ACN can make your move easier by assisting you with the transfer of your Digital Phone Service.
- Call ACN Customer Care at 877-226-1010 in the U.S. and 888-383-8226 in Canada and inform the agent you are moving at least 5 days prior to your move.
- Provide your ACN Digital Phone Service number.
- Provide your new address and move date. Your request will be processed on the move date you provide.
- ACN must be able to validate the new address. Customers will not be able to change their phone number, only their address.
- Since your ACN Digital Phone Service requires a wired, high speed Internet connection, you will need to make sure your high-speed Internet service is working in your new location.
It is important to notify ACN of your move to ensure your 911 address is current in case of an emergency. If you request to transfer your service after you move, it will take a few days to complete the process and your 911 address will be inaccurate in the event of an emergency. You will only be able to change your address, not your phone number.